Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Decorating with National Geographic

My 6-year old daughter C is obsessed with reading.  She loves books, but she can spend an hour poring over pictures in magazines.  Naturally, National Geographic is a favorite of hers.  We always seem to have some laying around the house.  Not only are they fun to look at, but the kids love to cut out pictures and make collages. 

Here's another use for those old magazines with the trademark yellow spine - DECORATING!  I love the pop of color they add.







I love everything about this room: the vaulted ceiling, the color palette, and the fabrics.  This might be my dream house - beach cottage style!


This room has such a collected, eclectic feel, yet the NG's pull it all together.


What's not to love about this styling?  It's done by my design guru Emily Henderson of HGTV's Secret's from a Stylist.  Check out more of this room and other transformations on her blog.  Just a side note - I didn't like her at all on Design Star, but now I'm in love with her.


Blue, white, and yellow again....this might be a new favorite color combo.


Not only is the magazine itself fun to decorate with, it's images are absolutely amazing.  This photographs remind me how truly beautiful and colorful our world is:

Please take me to this beach in Greece?  Please?


Here the photographer captured frozen bubbles in a lake.


The colors and pattern are stunning.


Another great mix of color and pattern.  This is a Hindu wedding procession.


This little boy's smile makes me happy.


Can you believe these are rice paddies in China?  I wonder what gives them the color?

You all know I love a blue door, but this is amazing!




3 comments:

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Wow! This is my very 1st time here and I'm already loving this blog! :-)

You have great posts and you write well. It's lovely to "meet" you!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Holly Gruszka said...

I thought I spied some National Geographic magazines when Emily was styling the Untamed Funk room - how awesome was that space and so perfect for the couple? But I don't think she pointed out that she was using the NG did she? I think it's great though and a practical way to stack/organize and display.

A room with a view said...

Great post, Suzy! NG is one of our favorite publications and my kids love them..I have them piled all over the house to heighten table lamps, for vignettes, etc. You have some absolutely amazing pics here!