Sunday, September 11, 2011

An Oil-based Paint Dresser

It seems like forever since I have shown you a furniture makeover!  K has wanted something new in her room for awhile.  She has a white girly-girl matching bedroom set and that was a little too prissy for my little tweeny bopper.

I picked up this mid-century dresser at a garage sale:



It was in surprisingly good shape, which meant minimal sanding, hole-filling, etc.

The top was laminate.  Since this piece was going in a child's room.  I wanted a durable finish and I didn't want the paint to peel right off of the laminate.  So, I sanded the top with a 60-grit sandpaper to really rough up the finish and then went over that with a 220-grit sandpaper.  Next, up was my favorite Kilz primer and 2-coats of paint.

Here's the big reveal:
Oops - can you see the leg I forgot to paint?!?!


K was so excited that I let her pick the colors herself.  She wanted all of the door fronts to be chalkboard, but I didn't.  So, we compromised by painting them a flat turquoise color that she liked.

Want to know how I got it so shiny??
Oil-based paint! 

Oil-based paint has a different consistency than regular latex paint.  I think people don't use it very often because you have to clean your brushes with mineral spirits/paint thinner.  It also doesn't clean off skin very easily.  I still have blue splotches on my forearms from this stuff!  It is also pretty stinky - be sure to use this where you have lots of ventilation.  These fumes can't be good for you!

I liked it because it spreads really easily (use a brush, not a roller).  The best part of all is that it doesn't leave the dreaded brush stroke marks.  It takes longer to dry, but when it does, it's a nice, shiny, hard enamel. 

Another downside is that this paint only comes in a limited number of pre-mixed colors.  I don't think the stores can custom mix a color for you like they do with latex paint. 

This paint was fun to try and a good change from the distressed and glazed pieces I have been doing.  The high-gloss gives a much more modern feel.

K's favorite part was painting the interior drawers herself.

 She even let her 2-year old sister paint the top drawer purple.  Can you tell????  This probably would not have been my choice, but they had fun.  What's the real harm, especially since she is keeping this piece for herself and I am not trying to sell it.


Linking up to some of these great sites:
Today's Creative Blog, Sugar Bee Crafts, Not Just a Housewife, Reasons to Skip the Housework, Bella Before and After, Primitive and Proper, Home Stories of A to Z, Savvy Southern Style, DIY by Design, Tip Junkie, Type A Decorating, http://sistersstuff.blogspot.com/, The Thrifty Home, Domestically Speaking, Primp,
A Diamond in the Stuff, Restore Interiors, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Somewhat Simple, Beyond the Picket Fence, Fireflies and Jellybeans,My Simple Home Life,
Addicted 2 Decorating, Just a Girl, Remodelaholic, Miss Mustard Seed, Finding Fabulous, Tatertots and Jello, Under the Table and Dreaming, Thrifty Decor Chick, Coastal Charm, Junker Newbie

13 comments:

Holly Gruszka said...

I love the new look and the color combo! That's a great piece too - reminds me of the dresser that we have but yours is leggier and I like that.

Katie said...

I love how it turned out!! That is so funny that you forgot to paint the center leg! Definately something I would do! I love that style dresser!

Jacqueline said...

Love the dresser makeover!

Tammy said...

Good Job! This turned out really nice! Thanks for sharing it :)

Roeshel said...

Great rescue and love the color! :)

Roeshel

susan said...

I love this!! I am a huge fan of mid-century and simply love to see it in a makeover.

Great job!!!

A room with a view said...

Love the color! The paint sounds amazing. It's great to have your kids help out and work on their own rooms even on parts of a project.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

This looks fabulous! I tried oil-based paint ONCE, and it was such a pain I've never gone back. Maybe I need to rethink my prejudices ;-)

Anonymous said...

What a fun new look! The paint job is fabulous - good job :)

Suzanne said...

Looks great! Ack, just forget about that other leg, I would have never noticed! :)

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love the glossy finish the oil based paint left! it's beautiful! and i have so done that before with those weird 5th legs!

Tammy @ Type A said...

great job on the dresser, i love that the kids helped out, that makes it much more special. thaks for sharing this at my party!!

Marilyn said...

So beautiful..Love it..Hello there.. I'm following ya /linking per beyond the picket fence hop..Lovely blog you have here.Can't wait to read more.. Hope you can stop by & visit me sometime / follow back.. TY So much.. Have a great week.Marilyn from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com